Sonntag, 21. Dezember 2008

Crisis cooking

As I look through my blog recipies, I recognize, that almost all of them are very simple and low-cost. I am not a great cook and I prefer home-cooking over convenience food but it has to be fast, easy and should not require too much attention. I won’t use expensive ingredients because maybe I spoil them. I am not sure if all of the ingredients are inexpensive all over the world but in Germany they are. Please try!

So yesterday was Reibekuchen Day and here comes the recipe.

You need circa 750g raw grated potatoes, 1 grated onion, 2 eggs, 2 tablespoon flour, 1-2 teaspoon salt, some black pepper and oil for baking.



Mix the grated potatoes, onions, the 2 eggs and the rest together. Preheat the skillet with the oil to a medium high heat. Add 1 Tb batter for each Reibekuchen to the skillet and let them bake until they are golden brown underneath.



Turn them over. The oil should sizzle a little bit when you add the batter to the skillet. But the oil should not be to hot because the raw potatoes need a few minutes till they are done. Turn them over and fry the other side.



At this stage they look very oily therefore I put them on a sheet of kitchenroll. Put them on a plate, add some applesauce. Done!



If you also want to make your homemade applesauce. Easy! Peel and slice some apples, put them with some water in a cooking pot. You can add some spices like cinnamon and cloves. let simmer until done!